Kao produces inks for various packaging substrates, including paperboard, plastics, thin films, metals and glass.
Our inkjet and flexo inks are widely used for primary and secondary packaging for e-commerce, food, beverage, pharmaceuticals, and other consumer or industrial products. Applications include marking and coding with lot information, expiration dates, and 2D codes. Our process and spot-colour formulations produce vibrant results for any package design.
Inks for Printing Cardboard and Paper Packaging
Our process-colour, spot colour and black inks produce optimal results for high-volume flexo production or shorter runs using thermal inkjet or piezo digital printing systems on coated and uncoated paperboard stock.
Numerous ink possibilities exist for printing high-quality package designs and marking and coding.
For Non-Porous Paperboard
For Porous Paperboard
Request Packaging Inks for Cardboard and Paper
Inks for Flexible Packaging, Plastics, and Shrink Sleeves
Kao produces a range of inks for printing four-colour messaging or monochrome marking and coding on plastic food packaging materials.
Common Packaging Types
- Flexible packaging
- Shrink sleeves
Depending on the packaging requirements, there are several digital and flexo printing options.
Inkjet Inks for Flexible Packaging
Flexo Inks for Flexible Packaging
Request Inks for Flexible Packaging, Plastics, and Shrink Sleeves
Inkjet Inks for Metal Tins and Cans
Kao produces inks for TIJ, Piezo, and CIJ digital printing systems used to mark and code cans with expiration dates and lot codes. More brands are turning to direct-to-object methods for package design printing, which offers more opportunities for shorter production runs and mass customisation.
- Nanodispersion water-based (Food grade*)
- EB-curable (Food grade*)
- Low-migration UV/LED (Food grade*)
Request Packaging Inks for Metal Tins and Cans
Sustainable Inkjet Inks and Flexo Inks
Kao strives for production and manufacturing methods that reduce the environmental impact, including the formulation of special inks that contribute to increased sustainability.
- LUNAJET – This nanodispersion water-based inkjet ink is eco-friendly and specifically designed for printing on flexible packaging, thin films, and other non-porous materials.
- Bio-based Mineral-Oil-Free (MOF) – This eco-friendly inkjet MOF ink is an alternative to conventional oil-based inkjet inks. It performs well on porous substrates such as corrugated cardboard and other paperboard materials.
- OK COMPOST – We offer water-based and solvent-based flexo inks certified for industrial composting. Both of these inks are suitable for printing on compostable and biodegradable films.
Read More about our Eco-Friendly Inks
Custom Formulations Available
If you’re unsure which ink is best for your application, please send us a sample of your substrate. An ink technician will recommend inks based on numerous factors. If one of our standard inks doesn’t meet your needs, our chemists will customise a solution to meet your requirements and specifications.
Contact us about custom ink formulations.
* Third-party lab testing should be conducted to evaluate migration.